Warmest greetings once again, dear reader. I’m glad you’ve decided to join me on this journey again, but frankly I was pretty underwhelmed by the level of praise I received. Keep being miserly with adulation, assholes, and watch what happens.
I love you all very much, and I hope you take some time today and every day to close your eyes, put your hands on your heart and show gratitude to it for all of the years of life it’s given you. One of the things I know has helped me with anxiety is meditating on this mantra, said in a way that is indicative of well-wishing as opposed to seeking permission:
“May I be happy. May I be healthy. May I be at peace.”
Meditation isn’t some hokey shit. Try it. Really try. For like a week. Your worst enemy on the path to personal growth is you. Silence those voices in your head that tell you you’re unworthy, and just do the work. I would love to hear what you think of it!
Anyway, let’s take a moment to lay out how this blog is going to work. I’ve already gone over the ground rules, so you can check that box off your list. See? We can do this! But a blog needs content.
“So, Ant, what is going to be your content?”
Jesus, would you relax? Here’s a list:
- Gaming – I’m a pretty eclectic gamer so this is a broad topic. I’ll touch on all forms of gaming. Video games, tabletop games, role playing games, you name it. Sports I won’t go into in great detail. I know some people get extremely into sports but that was never me. I enjoy sports but I’m not passionate about any of them. I was usually picked last in PE class, and with good reason.
- Miniature Painting and Terrain – This could be rolled into gaming, but I wanted to take the time to appreciate the artistry, techniques and work of myself and many other significantly more talented artists. Have an open mind. I promise there’s a miniature for everyone. As for terrain: miniature terrain refers to the little pieces of landscaping gamers use to help make the table look vibrant and alive. Think “model train display” and you’ll have a sense of what I’m talking about.
- Parenting – I’ll probably talk about this the most. It’s what I enjoy most and am proudest of. I’ll leave out the mundane shit like when I use the fancy Korean steamer my wife bought or how many times I’ve frantically cleaned the house from 4:02 to 4:28 so my wife thinks I spent all day white gloving the entire house. Haha just kidding, dumbasses! I won’t leave that shit out, that shit is the spice of life.
- Voice Acting – I’m a voice actor. That basically means I, like, act and stuff, but I use my voice to do it. A second-tier friend once told me, “You have a face for radio,” which wasn’t very nice at all, but to be fair I’m not exactly Ryan Gosling so I get where he’s coming from. Under the banner of voice acting we will talk a little about the industry, a little about the process, a little about the work.
- Charity – I’ve said I was going to say “I love you” throughout this blog, which was true. But actions speak louder than words, or so the saying goes. Let’s start putting some light back into the world.
- Life – We are here to have fun and shit, I get that, but I’ve also got some opinions and advice that I think some of you need to hear. It’s as much about me helping you as it is helping myself. It won’t always be comfortable or pretty. Like my face. Anyway this will be a broad topic and probably where most of my philosophical soap boxing will occur.
The first few pieces I’m working on right now include:
“I’m the Hound” – Those “Which Person Are You?!” questionnaires we fill out while we’re on the can are fun, but hardly scientific. I can easily answer the questions and wind up being told “You’re Jon Snow!” ten times out of ten. There are many characters in Game of Thrones and a few of which I wish I emulated, but I had an honest conversation with myself about who I was most like, and Sandor Clegane comes out on top. It’s more than just his potty mouth, and I’ll parse out why.
“Dungeons and Dragons Adventures” – I fuckin’ love puns and I don’t care who knows. I also love portmanteaus. I combined those two loves and am working on writing an adventure with my buddy J set in Waterdeep of the Forgotten Realms, and its title is the best portmanteau since “shart”.
“The Games that Changed My Life” – Games aren’t just pastimes, especially in the era of role-playing games and video games. A few games I’ve played helped me get through some dark times, and they deserve recognition.
“Ask Me Anything” – If you have a burning question that needs answering, I’m your guy. Fuckin’ try me. Go ahead and fire your inquiries to muaddweeb at muaddweeb dot com and you may become internet famous just like me!
“The Teachings of Muad’Dweeb” – It will be under this umbrella I write about serious topics. Calling them teachings is the absolute pinnacle of hubris but I’ll be damned if there aren’t a few life lessons I’ve learned that some of you could benefit from hearing. (*cough* Dan *cough*)
“The Weekly Digest” – Every Thursday going forward I’m going to record my entire week’s worth of posts into audio form so you can listen to what I’ve said on the off chance you’re lazy or (more likely) illiterate. Look for the first Digest this Friday right here!
In the words of El Guapo, I have a plethora, so this list isn’t exhaustive.
Lower your shoulder and wade in.